Click here to register and buy your ticket.
The 6th annual WAM!NYC Feminist Media Conference on June 20th at Barnard College is an all-day conference devoted to bringing issues of race, gender, class and social justice to the media. Following last year’s incredible Janet Mock keynote, this year’s conference is bringing together three women who have all “redefined realness” in their own right. This year’s confirmed keynote speakers include: Alicia Garza, co-founder of #BlackLivesMatter; Lizz Winstead, co-creator of The Daily Show; and Sarah Maslin Nir, New York Times reporter and author of the viral investigative series “Unvarnished” on the working conditions of nail salon employees.
- Finding Your Beat: When and How to Specialize
Martyna Starosta of The Forward (moderator), Lisa Goldman of +972, Nikole Hannah-Jones of The New York Times Magazine, and Jayati Vora of Al Jazeera America
- Navigating Gender in Prison Reporting
Sharona Coutts of RH Reality Check, freelance journalist Victoria Law, Liliana Segura of The Intercept, and freelance journalist Aviva Stahl
Moderated by Victoria Law
- Real Talk About Covering Women, Covering Race
Regina Mahone of RH Reality Check (moderator), sex-positive feminist writer Feminista Jones, Carla Murphy of The Nation Institute, Nermeen Shaikh of Democracy Now!, and Jamil Smith of The New Republic
- All of The Lights: Focusing Your Pitch and Perfecting Your Presence Before Getting In Front of the Camera, or Behind the Mic
Autumn Marie, a PR professional with a decade of experience marketing film releases from Paramount, the Weinstein Company, and Open Road
- This Is How We Do It: Women Media-Makers Talk Production, Placement, Price, and Promotion of their Films, Podcasts, and Web Series
Chevon Drew of Chevonmedia (moderator), Cynical Smith of Beatminerz Radio, Stacey Muhammad of “For Colored Boys,” Richardine Bartee of RESPECTMAG and GrungeCake, and Jin Nicol Galvez of Jin’s Journey
- Trouncing Trolls in Five Easy Steps: Problems and Solutions in Online Harassment
Jenn Pozner, author of Reality Bites Back, Jamia Wilson of WAM!, and Zerlina Maxwell of ESSENCE Magazine